How To Set Up A Black Ops 3 Server (Steam)
• A dedicated machine to host your server. This can be a server in your home or preferably a VPS.
Intel Xeon E3-1230v6 - 4c/8t - 3.5 GHz/3.9 GHz
16GB DDR4 ECC 2133MHz
200Gb or Higher (depends on how many custom maps you're going to run)
Only running one server? Below are the minimum specs for smooth operation. Keep in mind you may be wanting to run an RCON tool, that uses CPU resources.
Xeon E3-1220v6 4C/4T 3.0 GHz /3.5 GHz
4GB DRR4 Non ECC or ECC 2133Mhz
125Gb or Higher (depends on how many custom maps you're going to run.
You may alternatively go with AMD EPYC/Threadripper processors if your VPS allows for it.
• A stable hard-lined Internet connection where you are behind a firewall/router so you can modify port forwarding and NAT.
All traffic for the server itself is UDP. There's no need for TCP. Remember that when port forwarding.
Windows Firewall & Gateway Configuration
• Notepad++ or another advanced text editor.
Heavily modified Black Ops 3 server files: Server Config
Remove unwanted services and bloatware with this script (run as administrator)
To start, if you own the game on Steam, you will find in the Tools section of your Steam Library, Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Dedicated Server.
- You do not need the game installed to run a dedicated server.
Your Black Ops III dedi game folder, commonly found at:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Call of Duty Black Ops III\UnrankedServer\"
To start the server, simply run the Launch_Server.bat file. IT'S HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO USE THE ATTACHED CONFIG FILES!
• Game logging is completely broken and does not update in real-time as of 6/9/20.
• Kicks and bans work, however, in-game commands do not currently due to logging issues.
• The most supported RCON tool is "Black Ops 3 - Remote Console" from Steam.
- IW4M Admin - By RaidMax
You will need SteamCMD in order to download the server files. You can download it here: SteamCMD
• Create a new folder in your C: drive named anything you want. For example: BO3Dedi
• Create a sub-folder called SteamCDM and extract steamcmd.exe into your newly created sub-folder.
Once it asks for an login use:
Now you need to enter the following in the console:
Now you can start the download with:
app_update 545990 validate
Once completed, feel free to exit out of SteamCMD.
IT IS VITAL TO HAVE STEAM INSTALLED AND AN ACCOUNT SIGNED IN AT THIS POINT. The account does not need to own BO3. The account is pretty much a service account to download Steam WorkshopIDs.
Let's break down Playlists
- playlist 1 / Sets the Playlist number for reference in the Launch_Server.bat
- rule party_minplayers 1 / Gametype Setting that sets the minimum players required for the server to start a match
- mp_apartments,tdm / Adds mp_apartments running team deathmatch to the map rotation
- mp_apartments,ctf / Adds mp_apartments running capture the flag to the map rotation
- mp_biodome,tdm / Adds mp_biodome running team deathmatch to the map rotation
- 2095050110,dom / Adds the custom map from Steam workshop running domination to the map rotation
NOTE: ENSURE THAT THE MAP SUPPORTS THE MODE YOU SELECTED. Most of the time the map creator will mention the supported gamemodes in their descriptions.
Gametype settings allow the user to configure in the Playlist file the rules of their specified game type. This can include increasing round timer, changing the amount of points to win a round, and many other options. The following are all the available gametype settings. **If you use the custom game settings in game and run the gamesettings_generateconfig console command, a config file will be generated in your local_storage/users folder with all the gametype settings used.
KNOWN PLAYLISTS CONFIG SETTINGS
DNW = Does not work in playlist settings.NT = Not Tested - fully.
// This part of the guide has been moved here, please visit this page to see the updated configs for playlist.info
Stock Mapsmp_apartments (Evac)mp_biodome (Aquarium)mp_chinatown (Exodus)mp_ethiopia (Hunted)mp_havoc (Havoc)mp_infection (Infection)mp_metro (Metro)mp_redwood (Redwood)mp_sector (Combine)mp_spire (Breach)mp_stronghold (Stronghold)mp_veiled (Fringe)mp_nuketown_x (Nuke3town)
DLC1mp_crucible (Gauntlet)mp_rise (Rise)mp_skyjacked (SkyJacked)mp_waterpark (Splash)
DLC2mp_aerospace (Spire)mp_banzai (Verge)mp_conduit (Rift)mp_kung_fu (Knockout)
DLC3mp_arena (Rumble)mp_cryogen (Cryogen)mp_rome (Empire)mp_shrine (Berserk)
DLC4mp_city (Rupture)mp_miniature (Micro)mp_ruins (Citadel)mp_western (outlaw)
Team Deathmatch -- tdmFree For All -- dmSearch and Destroy -- sdCapture the Flag -- ctfDomination -- domHardpoint -- kothUplink -- ballKill Confirmed -- confGun Game -- gunDemolition -- demSafegaurd -- escortFracture -- clean
Couple important notes:
- We recommend always having at least one official map in your map rotation in case the Workshop map has issues.
- Playlists can get very complicated, it can help a lot to use source control for your playlists so you can track changes in case something stops working. This could be helpful for your Launch_Server.bat as well.
- Antivirus and Firewall softwares can conflict with running an unranked dedicated server. Please make sure to attempt standard troubleshooting when experiencing issues with your unranked dedicated server or people attempting to join it.